Monday, June 17, 2013

Section 5: 11.4 Miles

I'm just doing a quick summary of this section because it there really isn't much to tell about it.  This section of the Long Path follows the Heritage Trail that runs between Monroe, NY and Goshen, NY.  It's a mostly paved rail-trail and is really very nice for biking, running, pushing a stroller etc.  It would be a very nice thing to use if I lived close.  There aren't any exciting views, but its in a pretty area and runs through nice little towns.

I hiked north to south, and then biked back.  The trail starts out as a gravel path.  This first section is pretty rustic and runs through a nature preserve next to a lake.  I saw a family of swans, a heron, turtles, and frogs.
This little guy was crossing the path, and he wasn't a big fan of the paparazzi action.

I wish I could have gotten a better swan picture.  She was sitting on her nest with the dad swimming nearby.  It was so picturesque.  

The trail passed through a town and then restarted, now paved about a mile later.  It was a fairly high traffic trail - lots of bikers and families.  It passed through farmlands, an old railroad parking area with several big pieces of railway machinery, and a very old cemetery.  


 It was up on a hill, a little ways back from the path.  


Ben lived to be 81.  Not bad for 1882.

It was a pretty uneventful hike.  I encountered a woman who claimed she saw a bear and was afraid to walk back to her car.  I walked with her a while, talking to her about how to alert bears to her presence on a trail and how the loud talking or singing would scare them off.  In about 10 minutes she, changed her mind, decided she saw a dog instead and jogged off.  That must have been some dog.  Or a really brave bear.  Or just a really jumpy woman.  

Either way.  Rail trail checked off the list.  I'm starting to get to the areas I can camp in - finally.  Hopefully we'll get some weekend trips and gear reviews going.  I'm also going to do some solo camping trips.  Solo hiking and camping as a woman is kind of a hot topic so I'll share my thoughts.  


No comments:

Post a Comment