Thursday, June 20, 2013

Review of the Keen Targhee II

I've been hiking in these shoes for over a year and I've really like them.  There's virtually no break-in time.  They never gave me blisters and are comfortable even after big miles.  The laces are a little short so if you use custom lacing methods, purchase longer ones.  I do find that really fine gravel sometimes finds it's way in and needs to be emptied which is a little annoying.  This is a low-cut trail shoe, so if you prone to ankle rolling, perhaps the Targhee II Mid's would be better for you.  My ankles are usually pretty stable, so these have worked well for me.

The sole goes up a ways on the sides, which helps keep water out.  They are relatively water resistant when walking through small puddles or mud, but expect to get wet feet if you miss-step during a stream crossing.  They do dry quickly, though.

My favorite part is the toe protection - it is really great when you're worn out at the end of a hike and keep kicking rocks.  The soles are very grippy and are very stable even on steep slopes.  I have been using them for over a year and they have held up very well.  They are well constructed and feel very durable.  Even in chillier weather, they work pretty well.  I've used them in light snow with a good pair of wool socks.  Obviously they won't protect you from deep snow, as they don't be past the ankles.


Pros
  • Protected toe
  • Strong gripping soles
  • Comfortable
Cons
  • Will let deeper water in
  • Little ankle support

No comments:

Post a Comment